Skip to main content

Yourlokalhead Talks of His Music Journey and The Diet LP

With a name that's more like a phrase, Yourlokalhead is that and more. From the Vaal and now residing in Pretoria, the rhyme slayer, writer and performer has released "The Diet" LP and he says he's both proud and appreciative. He answered our questions as follows: 
How would you describe your musical journey this far, how has it been?
I don't think I can put together the words to describe the journey perfectly, it has been inspirational. I remember just wanting to do and be better; be it lyrically or as a whole-individual.
I mean with countless competitive creatives on the scene, it's easy for one to disappear into a "state" when they're absent of the urge to evolve. So for the most part, it's been an odyssey to self discovery and I'm proud...

Have you learned to balance crushing the challenges and celebrating all the wins? 
Wins huh?! I'd like to believe so. As long as I'm moved to write a rhyme I can never seize to celebrate.
My thing has just always been sharing my stories with everyone and haven't found myself getting lost in the high 5's. It's a beautiful thing though, contemplating; all about where the mind is at.

What has been the most challenging thing so far for you as an artist?
I think it has to be holistic brand management. Finding and keeping the right team that delivers ideas that resonate with the artist and maintaining that.

What drives your journey? What's your inspiration?
My inspiration has always been the need to instill some kind of hope in the next person, music or otherwise.
That's why I always cherish being fortunate enough to create a piece of work and put it out; speak to somebody out there in the world.  The possibility of it all drives me.

What continues to draw you into the music despite the many downs that comes with being on the come up?
I think it's its the glory of having put together a rhyme that perfectly describes exactly what I'm feeling at that moment, always a beautiful feeling and worth doing over and again.
That's why artists end up with tons of artwork that they've got no plans of putting out, but because "you can't stop the music", we create so much till we go back where we're from.
What has been some of your memorable moments on your journey?
Wow, it has to be those home hitting conversations with music lovers after a good set. I've had some guys weep while telling me how much they connect with my writing and how they're blessed to have witnessed some of they're life stories through my rhymes. Yeah, that's that shit.

Which artists would you like to collaborate with?
Lady Gaga and Proverb.

How has the lockdown affected your hustle and productivity as far as your music is concerned concerned?
This all happened at a time when I was entering a transition phase in my life.
Just gathering strength and resources. Investing in myself to ensure self-reliance.

I've dedicated a lot of my time to toward my family and other personal dreams.
I'm yet to get back on the wheel and give people some music, but for now The Diet LP is available on all digital platforms including Deezer:
 Your song "This is a man's world" seems to be a favourite. Can you take us into its creation and formation.
That song was first intended as an exclusive single. It also marks a time when Beat Oven introduced me to both Odyccy and Mon'Jon; producer and vocalist respectively.
I remember thinking it won't come out as I beautiful as it did, because I had not heard Mon'Jon sing.
Until this piece, and I've got to say. I've never seen anyone that's got pipes that immaculate live and on record. She's amazing.
So obviously after This is A Man's World, it was only right we make some more music.
Odyccy sent us more instrumentals to go through and we took out best selections from it and cut an entire EP from it, of course with the help of some of good our friends in music.
This Is A Man's World birthed "Lady and Gentleman" (the EP, a available on hardcopy for now.).  The way we connected made sense that we salvage the energy and I'm grateful we came out with such an amazing body of work in a fairly short space of time.
I believe the writing and recording took about a month... this is between kids, school and 9-5's for Mon'Jon and I. What a life.
The Diet. Please share all about it.
Man, The Diet is a make up of most of my rhymes from '09 I think.

I just had a lot of writing and I made some cool friends when I moved to Pretoria that I was blessed with the privilege to have my rhymes put on record in song form. This is after my remix-tape "Please Turn Over"
Thanks to Alu and Tsu for playing such an important role through and through.

What are you looking forward to seeing happen  with your career.  Where do you want to take it?
I'd like to take it to the theatres. I mean I believe I tell tell more stories than I flex rhymes on beats, so it would make sense to contribute to literature and to see it all played on stage too. It would be beautiful to see it stretch that far.
The Diet LP is available through the link below
Online stores: The Diet LP
YouTube: #BusyWithARhyme


Comments

  1. Dope ness. I loved reading this piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interviews with depth are really interesting to read. S/O to the lokalhead

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas