Skip to main content

Seasoned journalist's journey as a DJ

Kennedy Mudzuli is a seasoned, award winning and well respected journalist and a senior executive at Pretoria News, Tshwane's daily Newspaper. 

Another trick up his sleeve is his music career. He is a vast music lover and a DJ going by the stage name "Dj Edit SA" and he launches his debut single next month.

He answered our questions as follows: 
As far as your interest in music is concerned, did you ever see yourself ever being an active contributor as you are now?
I believe it's a calling, a gift from the Almighty. Since my teenage years, I've always been the "guy with the best playlist and latest music". Back then my interest was Hip Hop and House. I ditched Hip Hop upon realizing that it wasn't the same anymore.
In the mid 90s I started playing music at family gatherings and smaller events alike. I had homemade speakers, connected to the lousiest amplifier you could imagine: but hey, it made the sound, and people danced!
God has been kind to me in a short space of time and I can only grow from here.

This is only my third year as DJ Edit SA - and the best is yet to come. Today I have a weekly mixtape series, The Shift. On a good week it reaches about 40 000 people via Facebook and played on radio stations.

And how did the transition of being just a music lover to being a practising DJ happen?
It was in 2017 while nursing a personal tragedy that I started sharpening my music selecting and mixing skills. I made mixtapes and uploaded them online.
I have Percy Sleash SA and Khutsi Malala to thank for launching DJ Edit SA. Through Malala, my first mix was played by Percy Sleash SA on SMU FM in April of 2017.
I have since become a resident DJ on the station's breakfast show and have been playlisted on Pheli FM, Unisa FM, Motswedi FM and others.
At the time I mixed every genre, but music lovers started taking note last year after I decided to rebrand myself as an Afro-house / Afro-tech DJ. I played a three hour Afro-house set in Roodepoort last June and blew the roof off. It was a no brainer that this should be the genre for me.

Why did you decide to only pursue your music journey only now rather than earlier on?
Having a full time job meant I was not able to focus on the music all along. Guess another issue was not knowing where and how to start. It is for this reason that I will always be grateful to both Malala and Percy Sleash SA. But as they say, it's never too late to pursue a dream.
How are you finding the industry so far as a Dj?
Not easy, hey. You have to stay relevant at all times while establishing a good contacts. Without knowing which door to knock on, it doesn't matter how good you are. Can't say I have arrived, but watch out SA, I'm on my way!

How did the "Ko Davin" song come to life and what is the plan regarding it?
It's my debut single, an Afro-house track featuring Leon Lee (one of the most hard working people musicians I know) and Percy Sleash SA. It was produced by the master himself, Kay-9ine, another Tshwane based giant.
After listening to his Musically Gifted album last year, I literally hunted him down and in no time we started working on Ko Davin.
The lyrics are inspired by "Da Davin Lifestyle Lounge" in Soshanguve. Those who know the club will agree its the place to be. The reason was simple: to promote Tshwane nightlife.

How do you balance your career as an executive and a budding Dj?
I edit the Pretoria News from afternoons into the evenings, so mornings are dedicated to music. Most of my live sets have so far been on weekends. The challenge at first was to keep the two brands apart: Kennedy Mudzuli and DJ Edit SA. There is also person C: I serve at Grace Bible Church. 

Are there pointers from your media space that you are finding helpful to you as a Dj?
Excellence at all times, discipline and the value of networking. You get one chance to impress the audience and must use it well as there may not be another. Your reputation and goals in the music industry depend on that moment. Lastly, giving your best at all times.

How has the lockdown inconvenienced you personally and the industry in general?
It's delayed the launch of Ko Davin, but we are almost there. It's also delayed the recording on the second single. Getting used to working from home was a challenge at first.
Not being able to mingle with other role players in the music industry is a pain. And also meant not playing live. Nothing can replace a live audience. But this too shall pass. If we are to beat the Covid-19 as a nation, the lockdown is vital. We'll rise again.
Which artists did you grow up looking towards to and which would you like to see yourself work with?
The old generation of DJ Kent, Euphonik, DJ Fresh, Oskido, Vinny DA Vincy, Shimza. The newer generation of Punk Mbedzi, Caiiro, Jim. Mastershine, Kay-9ine, Villager SA, and I try to pick various elements from all of them and incorporate them into what I do.
Not forgetting David Guetta internationally.

What do you think lacks most for not yet known creatives such as yourself to penetrate the commercial space?
Not putting ourselves and work out there always holds us back. But most important, remember we have to dream big. Black Coffee too had a dream at one point, and look where he is today! 

What are you currently busy with/ working on?
Working on my second single, which will have gospel lyrics. Also preparing the launch of Ko Davin. I predict this track is destined to be one of the hottest tracks of this year. Watch this space.

What are your plans for the future: where do you hope to see yourself as far as your music career is concerned?
Topping the charts, collaborating with some of the biggest players in the Afro-house scene and #FillingUpTheDome. I've won journalism awards, now I want a music award.

We all have more than one passion and they are all achievable, not by chance but through putting in some serious work. Dj Edit SA seems to have finally found the rhythm of all his drums and the sound is something refreshing.

Connect with him on Facebook to stay updated on all his moves and to get all his previous mixes

Dj Edit SA- The 88 Shift mix: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas