Skip to main content

The Creative Corner with Optic Beads

Creativity is something unmatched and somewhat natural. And if you're blessed with it,there's nothing else to do but embrace it.

So, I've known Karabo Kola for a lil while and like most people, I met him through someone I met through someone.
Anyways he's got this cool thing he's doing with #OpticBeads. He designs the coolest accessory pieces with beads and I've seen them and even purchased a couple.
Karabo is a Pretoria born and Soweto raised guy in his late 20s who describes himself as pretty laid back, shy and lots more other things.
"Trust me I am very shy. I love sweet things, I love clothes, accessories, gadgets. I'm a sucker for music, movies, just everything that's ART. I believe I am an artist too,i just haven't found my craft yet but it's hidden somewhere in Optic Beads.
My best friend created a word for me says I'm an "UnArtistic Artist".

The pieces that he makes are pretty remarkable. I mean, taking a look at some of these pieces below, it would require one to have creativity of some sort in their DNA to create something like these.


He sells hand and neck pieces, watches and earrings and has recently expanded into selling trendy items like your happy sox, lapel pins and pocket squares and is looking into adding more items that complete and complement an outfit. Basically, your one stop shop for all things accessories.

Speaking of creativity, there's a story of how Optic Beads came to be.
"It's a quite a funny story. I used to buy and wear beads on my wrists and neck but they'd end up boring me when I saw someone else wearing the same thing as mine, so I would disassemble and do them the way I want them.
So people would complement and ask me where I bought them. One day I just thought "Shiiit why don't I sell these things I mean seems like I have a client base already". Plus I wasn't working at the time. So it seemed as something that could make some income for me.
I started to do research and went to buy material, Googled some ideas and started working. 1 month in,I fell In love with it."

Talk about finding the spark to light up your fire.
Karabo hasn't stopped since. His potential client is anyone (from kids,teens,adults and old people) who like accessories.
His pieces are mostly self inspired because that is how the dream came to life and he has decided to keep to that.
He also adds on to say the outfits also inspire his creations " I follow a whole lot of fashion social media pages because I love clothes/ fashion. I see outfits and try design something that will complement that outfit."




He's pretty stylish (not to say we can't question some of his fashion choices lol) but he seems to get this whole styling thing. Adding on a few OB(Optic Beads) pieces finishes off and rounds up any look pretty well. For him doing something like this isn't primarily money driven but something that he already lives.

"Well, for me personally I don't sell anything I don't feel like I would wear or somebody close to me would wear. So even though I can design something and send it to someone for approval, I have already loved and decided in my head that it looks good and most times I'm right. Lol.
I do not sell/advertise what I do not like so I literally buy them first for myself, try them out on a few outfits. Anywhere you find me, I have on a watch and wristband set that matches something on my outfit, even when going to the spaza shop or gym.
And at times I let the customer design what they want from what I have, send them a few pics and most come up with pretty great combos and I add my touch on it of course. "
Beading is as fascinating as it is stressful. Making the pieces is beautiful but can you imagine the stress of having to sew and bead and whatever else that needs to be done to produce a final product?

"For me it is a de-stresser more than it is stressful. I push myself to make a unique and different design for each client ,so the more the orders, the more concentration I need and try make something different from the previous one.
On the flip side, I have an injury on my shoulder from a car accident so once it gets very painful it becomes hard to work and that stresses me a lot."

Like a lot of entrepreneurs who are trying to do their own thing, Karabo has had his own share of challenges but says his clients have essentially been the ones keeping the Optic Beads ship sailing. Buying and supporting his brand.

"I get compliments everyday for my work and people telling me how great my work is ,pushes me to do more and to never disappoint them. I also sometimes attend "social markets". But because I also 9-5 and some Saturdays i work too ,so it's pretty difficult to balance both.
There's some markets that I attend and I make close to nothing sales but I think the biggest thing is to get the brand out there so it gets stuck in people's heads. The financial part of these markets is something that one needs a strategy for, which I'm still working on."
So in going forward, what should we expect from Karabo Kola and Optic Beads? Maybe he'll add styling to his CV, or have his products stocked at some big shop or even have a big brand endorse him?


"In the next 3 years I would love to see OB become a lifestyle to more people. To be like myself and not be able to leave their house without an OB piece with them. And OB being thee ultimate words on people's mouths when they speak accessories."


Follow Optic Beads on these socials: it's @opticbeads on IG, OPTIC BEADS on Facebook, @optic_beads on Twitter.

Following the road to your dreams is hard, but its also fulfilling man. So if you have a passion,skill, hobby or talent , that's your hustle right there,make it work for you. Follow it and you might be set for life!

                            Connect with us across all socials: @Tan89Media

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas