Skip to main content

Artist Feature: Goodshxt Jimmy

You know when you wish had a magic wand you could just wave and make someone's life nje? Like you know they are talented but life is just being it's usual unfair self. Jay  is one of those people.

He's been pushing so much that he's on his 20th name change but still under 25 years, am I exaggerating? Maybe but you probably get my point.

He recently dropped a couple of tracks and changed his name again (👀). So I was like I got to talk to the boy,naturally I started with the name change story.
What's with the name changes vele?
Haha , I've been getting that a lot lately , well I've been going through a lot of stuff in my personal life due to the fact that I hadn't felt Like "LJ lattrel" in a long time, and I'd like to think that that is a chapter of my life I wanted to close.
So when I sat down and thought about what to call myself after i had convinced myself that i have healed and i was ready to make new music and tell people that I'm outchea I remembered that "I've been "Jimmy" my whole life. I'm Jimmy to everyone from zone 6 & everyone I grew up with"
So naturally I wanted to keep that part about me unchanged. And well the "Goodshxt" part is not a question. I make good music .lol at least my little sister and my girl think so.

If you had to introduce your music to someone who's never heard it before,how would you go about it? 
I would cue in that "20th Century Fox" movie clip soundtrack and say "Prepare to have your life changed" then press play.. haha I'm kidding...
If I had the answer to this question, I'd have more hits in my current releases. So I don't wanna lie. Marketing myself is an issue lately.
All I do is tell people the truth , besides these links all I am is just a hobbo with a talent.
Literally in the whole sense of it. I always ask people to listen to Page1 more than all my songs. I feel like that's me. that song captures the whole essence of my being. But to describe my sound i would say, it's what people describe as a local sound. I'm a Motswako rapper, with catchy Zulu punchlines. My music mostly encapsulates my experiences in an introspective approach.
 I've been told my songs have a reminiscent sound, (takes one back) . 90's styled HipHop beats, but lately I've been fusing a little trap as you can hear on Mahala and will hear on the full #MFKY Ep dropping on www.reverbnation.com­/jimmygoodshxt

What inspired the two songs that you've recently dropped?
In a way the songs inspired each other. I started working on #KasiYaka late 2014/15. I wanted to make a song with a similar concept to Pac's "To live and die in LA"
(So 'To live and die Mo dikasi tsaka' is the original title I had.)
This was my look into reasons why I love and hate kasi. #Mahala was inspired by the lack of opportunities in kasi esp via HipHop.
Everyone wants rappers to perform for exposure but a newbie house DJ gets a slot and somar receives R400 per night and this is the harsh reality of being on the come up.
Everyone wants you to do em a favor when you are the one who could do with the favor. 

How would you describe your musical journey so far?
I would say it has been by far the most challenging thing , second to my life. But then again these things go together in a way, but if the will to succeed is there. A plan will surely come to fruition.

What keeps you going, when you hit the toughest challenges while pursuing your dreams? 
My family. Rapping 6 years ago was cool but now I always remind myself that I'm the one who chose this path and whatever reason I chose it for, even if it may have changed I haven't. I have just grown into what I've always wanted to be and my current situation is what I have to pass through in order to reach my pre set goals.
Do you think you are one of the top rappers in Rankuwa?
I think I used to be. Nowadays I'm more concerned with "is my music reaching relevant people? Is my paperwork gon' be done in time, how am I gonna make sure I keep the kind of music I make relevant.
Who is gonna buy this product that I'm working on.?"
 That debate shall be left to the critics , after all they know best.

Do you think the industry is unfair to emerging artists?
The industry ain't fair to anyone. Those in are fighting to stay in I don't see why they should give it up for us .Let them have it . We will continue to strive outside. The street vendor also manages to feed their family.
Who do you think is the most underrated, but talented rapper in SA? 
Hmm can't I give you a top? If I had to choose one I'd say Nveigh
Which rappers from PTA do you think deserve to blow up?
Goodshxt Jimmy, Mzebbs, Ora Kola
Bugzito and Black Jedi
Which three producers/­­beatmakers would you like to work with?
Beatmochini,Mandla Spikiri and Wichi 1080
Who,in the mainstream would you not mind switching places with?
Okmalumcoolkat , Smiso Zwane. I just love his style. I wish I could dance like that, and express myself the way he does. It seems effortless

Is there a song that you've heard and would have liked to have thrown in a 16 or something? 
Yoh there are a lot.A quick top 3 would be:
1. Shane Eagle - let it flow
2. Yanga - Mntase'khaya
3. Tweezy - Ambition
Do you have a local favorite rap-stress?
Oh. I fuck with ProChiq's Music. In a way as an upcoming rapper i relate to her struggle, and she is not one of those female rappers who want credit for being a female who raps. She lets the music speak for her.
I vibe with Fifi Cooper, Rouge & Patty Monroe - I'm a fan of real rap if such a thing still exists. And bar for bar these females for me, give my favourites a run for their money. Oh, there's also a chick i discovered on Twitter "The Hair Rapper" or something like that. (I found her @ThehairSa) Daae kent Spits. She is like a female J Cole haha.
Thats locally, internationally it's Rhapsody & Flo .They rap!You even forget that they are female.

What's next for Goodshxt Jimmy?
Well I'm gonna release the full Mahala for Kasi Yaka Ep end of October. I'm still getting used to this whole " depending on myself solely for the whole creation and release of my music thing" but I'll get there.
November I might be releasing something else from #ThePartyPack with Ane Dess Mengel. I'm just gonna be releasing a lot of solo music and features , and there is also a full Trap compilation we are working on with a Portugal based producer along with SLK.
Just expect a lot of Goodshxt and visuals for the time being.
While I get used to running things for myself.
I also wanna do a lot of shows so hey Book a Jita.

Get his work here:  http://www.reverbnation.com/jimmygoodshxt
#Mahala :
https://soundcloud.com/brajimmydess1/mahala-re-opela-mahala

Connect with him
Facebook Page: Goodshxt Jimmy
Twitter: @Goodshxt_Jimmy

                                Connect with us                              across all socials:                                @Tan89Media 

Comments

  1. Good one. Could be better if you also do a podcast version of the interview. I can imagine some of the responses already. Some are witty and yet this guys story seems to be something else. I'm interested in checking out his music after this. He sounds smart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and the feedback. Will surely introduce that feature in the near future. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas