Skip to main content

C tutor J's Conscious Journey through Hip Hop

Stage name: C tutor J

Profession: Multi-discipline Artist primarily Emcee / Rapper and Radio Drama Actor

Genre: HIP HOP 

Age group: 30s

Location: Sada, Eastern Cape 

Stable/Label: BANG Entertainment (Co-Owned) 

I got to hear Sibusiso Molefe first time earlier this year on Tru FMs "The Urban Exchange" hosted by Yahkeem on June 16 (Youth Day) and what he spoke as well as the music grabbed my ear.
Even remember something he said that has stuck with me, that links up with his name. I figured maybe it was just what the day commemorated that got him talking this way, but I went on to download some of his music and I realized it was all real, no gimmicks.
There's something refreshing about his Music and his take on a lot of things. And me, I like artists who are more than just music talk,so we got to talking.

Please break down your name for me:
The C is for Conscious (Hip / Aware) and the J for Journey (Hop / Move) and I use the Element of Emceein to teach each individual about the culture.

When did your musical journey begin?
Aaah man! I've been on stage for as long as my memory can travel back performing at church and home, but writing my own material is something I started at age 10.

Are you deliberately a "conscious and substance" rapper as it comes across in your music?
Hahaha one never chooses consciousness but come morning we wake up whether we care to or not.
What inspired the route that you've taken with your music?

Inspiration is a tricky thing you know, one moment you're listening to music that sparks a number of conversations across different environments you find yourself in and the next you're immersed in thought plotting your take on all those issues in question. You never can tell.

What's the monthly "Free Bars Project" all about?

South Africa has organized its year with insidious traditions and themes we barely question from January (family frenzy taking kids Back To School) to December (nationwide indulgence in festivities). The Free Bars Project investigates the validity of all these and puts an alternative perspective forward to question inspire dialogue of reason.

What do you think is the biggest challenge for an up and coming artist right now in South Africa, especially in Sada?

Phew! So many. But I guess the biggest is finding a team of people to stand behind your name and push the card on your behalf as strongly as you do.
Sada has a rich and deep culture history of its own, do you think that's helping or deterring you as the current torch bearers?

On the grassroots level I've always been part of that history so the fact that a wider audience, thanks to technology, is now watching my moves so far hasn't added pressure but value to the years of struggle to build I've put in. And I still am.

What would you like to achieve as far as your musical career is concerned?
All I ever wanted was to be heard. Greater and big platforms like this to voice my thoughts are achievements enough for me, more would be a good look.

Which are some of the platforms that have been instrumental in helping your career move forward?

A huuuge shout out to Trusenz for his former radio show Ground Zero on Tru FM alongside multiple other platforms he put me on. I can't forget Yahkeem the Mastabilda for pushing the card as well on The Urban Exchange and lately Vintage Sundays, it's all love. Mad props for Thabo Seboka's Live Sessions as well in Mdantsane. I could go on and on man…

Do you think emerging artists put in enough efforts when it comes to the business of their craft?
Not at all. I guess ignorance is bliss. Understanding the business leaves you less time to actually create, balance is key regardless.

Who do you make music for?
Myself hahaha I'm too selfish to think about people while creating. I hope everyone enjoys it though.

What's in the future plans for C tutor J?
I just hope to get this team together so I can find confidence in finally releasing a full length project and actually push to tour for most of the year.

Besides the talk that he's on,he's been putting in that work too. He made it to this year's "Back To The City Festival "Power Play 10k Challenge stage, National Arts Festival, and religiously dropping the monthly projects. 
When an artist is this serious, dedicated and passionate about the industry they occupy, can't not recognise. Hoping to see elevation to greater heights, to see wins and milestones from the C and I believe its just a matter of time.
For now please check out his work and be part of the growth. He's worth the time.

Project Links:
YouTube
SoundCloud- iLungelo
ilungelo 2
Slikouronlife- Is it love

Thank you for reading. You can follow us across all socials @Tan89Media

If you need help with your Brand or Business' Online presence, Administration and Social Media Management. 
Get in touch with us: tan89media@gmail.com
0727895703

#Tan89Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas