Skip to main content

Beyond The Music with Nombulelo Mfebe

Nombulelo Mfebe aka Filoe is a fireball of energy, bublyness, positivity and passion. 
She's a Mafikeng original, now residing in Rustenburg where she's pursuing her hustle. That already tells you something about her right? Yep, she's a lady on a mission. Plus she's hella funny. 
If you had to,how would you describe yourself,who are you?
I would describe myself as a very complicated being but all intentions are driven by a pure heart. I'm so friendly yet rude when tested. I'm a ball of EXTRA lol. I'm so extra in everything i do. 
I'm passionate and such a perfectionist and I think I'm bossy I want things done my way but I'm also open to good critism.

How did you get into radio?
I've always loved radio. At home we listened to radio a lot because my parents love it. In my dad's car,in the morning preparing for school.
Radio was always on. I loved how much they influenced people. Like you just sit there and talk and then hundreds of people pay attention to you.
That's powerful!I then fell in love with it. I professionally got my first chance 2016. I was doing celebrity news for a Hip Hop show for only 5minutes. 
2017 I went for open auditions at Kgatleng FM and I got in. Mind you I didn't even study for radio nor did I have any past experience in radio.
Fast forward to now, I have my own show and I produce two big shows as well.
What's your radio show all about?
My radio show is all about fun, education and many crazy things in between lol. 
It's on Saturdays afternoon. I just wanna make people dance and enjoy their Saturday. 

You seem to have a passion to uplift others, where does that come from?
It comes from a place of knowing how dark it is when you are down. I'm down a lot. 
I'm under a lot of mental pressure, I know how it feels.I take decisions of being happy every morning,plus I have a very good partner who helps me get to that happy level so I can spread it to my people.

If you could interview anyone, who would it be and why that person?
My list seem to get short because of the passing of our legends. My list is still so long but I think right now,
I would love to have a sit down with Mama Felicia Mabuza or Basetsana Khumalo. I want to know how do they do it.
How do they work so hard and remain so humble and classy. I love those women with all my heart and I look up to them.

What do you do when you have technical glitches in studio?
I have learned to be technomaniac LOL. Nothing scares me. I have learned to remain calm and figure out the problem and I fix it and get back on air like nothing happened.
That's what I love with local radio. You learn to be an engineer,host,producer,content researcher and the general driver of the show.

Why do you think Community radio stations are still over looked and undermined by artists and people in general?
Community radio stations usually have minimum funding which results in those working there not get paid. 
Sometimes it is the greed of management. People follow trends and fame. People look down on community radio stations and they are not aware that the same station can be the start of their careers. We need to be proud of our local stations and support them.
Who are some of the people you look up to, who inspires you?
I have so many. I look up to Ntate John Kani, his discipline in the craft is just amazing. I get inspired by the likes of DJ Fresh.
That man changes a radio show to his name when hired by a new broadcaster. That's branding on another level.

How do you feel about the state of our music industry?
I think we are growing,we are evolving,we are exploring,we are creating new sounds. Our music industry is becoming a multi-billion industry.

Do you think females are still the minority in the forefront of entertainment and how can we level the playing field?
I think we are still the minority. Soon as we start having artist and not have female artist things will be better.
You never hear people refer to male artists as "male artist" why do we have to have the female tag when referring to women?
We need to do away with that.

Besides radio, what are your
other passions?
Theatre is my 
other love. 
I'm a professionally 
trained theatre 
performer. 
I love being on stage. I enjoy
telling stories.

What would you like to see change & be done regarding the youth in Muruleng,Rustenburg as a whole that could uplift them?
More reading and book clubs. The youth is engaged in alcohol activities so much. We lack young people who know their history and why things are the way they are today. We don't have enough of the youth knowing about black history. More book clubs will save our youth.

Where would you like to see yourself in the next 4 years?
In 4years?If not hired in a bigger radio platform. I will be having my own online podcast. In 4years I will invading the online industry. I will be the biggest influencer in small communities. I will be the Oprah of small communitie. 
They need a positive figure that is not far from their reach and I will be that to them.
Well, I imagine she's going to kick ass on her way up. The industry needs more females to infiltrate it and the more we have the likes of Filoe, the more those chances add up.
Hope you enjoyed the read. Remember to follow your dreams and be as authentic as you can be.


Facebook: Nombulelo Filoe Mfebe
Instagram: @lelomfebe

Connect with us across all socials at @Tan89Media or drop a comment below

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas