Skip to main content

Artist Feature : Thabzero

A lot of emerging artists are faced with many many challenges on their come up. While some have to choose between their passion/dream and going to school, for some that choice already gets made for them by their circumstances.


For Thabiso Mkhize who's been knocked down several times, like when he had to quit his studies, head back home and find a job and after his mother passed away and he was left to fend for himself. For him,these  played up as motivating factors in both his life and his creativity.

The Umlazi born rapper and actor was studying for a Diploma in Sound engineering at the Academy of Sound while staying in Eldorado park, where he relocated to after completing his matric in 2007. Because life happens, he encountered some financial difficulties which meant had to head back home.
This didn't shut him down coz here he is, still pushing. 

Being from an area where the music culture is huge and where is seems Hip Hop artists from there are running the ship. With the likes of Zakwe, Nasty C and Sjava being some of the industry's major league players, Thabzero is also gunning for the captaincy.

Whats the Hip Hop scene like in Umlazi?
The Hip Hop scene in Umlazi is booming , the culture has grown amongst the year. Right now It's at its peak.
These days there are much more Hip Hop events happening such as the "Umlazi Social Market" which is hosted by Robin 3rdfloor. The new generation is highly inspired to be active in growing the culture In Umlazi, almost every weekend there's a Hip Hop show to attend, guys are producing quality music and music videos.

What are your dreams and aspirations that you'd like to achieve, within the industry? 
My dreams and aspirations are that I would like to be known as the guy who made music for people. I aim at not being a celebrity but my music should be celebrated . One of my dreams is to also be mentored by gentleman such as "Dr Sipho Sthole" as he is one of the pioneers of this industry. In that way I can learn the tricks of the trade. Like Martin Luther King , I also have a "Dream" of conquering the would with my music and changing lives as well, inspire fellow kasi dwellers so that they now that its possible.
When you look at your music career in the next 4 years, what do you envision?
In the next 4 years, I see "Thabzero" being a well established brand that is associated with big brands such as Nike,adidas etc. I'm also hoping that by then i would have built relationships with major companies like Sony, Universal etc.
I'm also hoping that my label "qsectionmusic" will be a stable independent company that can assist fellow artists.
What does it mean for you to be a "proudly South African rapper"?
Being a "Proudly South African Rapper" means that'd I must be true myself, know my roots and also tell real life stories which South Africans can resonate with. It means I must speak in a language that they will understand, it may be Zulu,Xhosa,slang or pure English but my people (South Africans) need to relate and understand my massage.

In your opinion,is there unity and is unity important in the industry?
No I don't think there's unity, simply because rappers have gotten way ahead of themselves,too many ego and competing with each other. Unity is pretty vital because the grows as a collective and we will be much more appealing to the world and trust you me if were united they'd be more talent descovered and given a chance on the mainstream

If you had powers to,which SA rapper would you swap lives with
You guys want to get into trouble (Laughs), but I would certainly say L-Tido . not that I have anything against the guy but he doesnt have much of an impact as he is supposed to have and looking at people around his circle ,I'd do wonders with those. L-Tido for me doesnt have sustainability, yes he manages to come back but most of his music is short-lived. The guy is talented but i don't think in the next 20year his music wont be classical as it should be due to it not being impactual as it should, thats just me.

What do you think is the biggest huddle/challenges facing emerging rappers today? 
The biggest challenge for upcoming rappers is understanding the music business because if we can understand that everything would be easier.

You think emerging rappers should have a side hustle to supplement their dream or they should completely focus on pushing their dream?
Having a side hustle is a good thing but if its in line with your career its even better.
But if it tempers with your career then its better to just focus on your dream, even with a side hustle, one should never forget the overall vision.

Whom in the industry would you like to work with one day?
I'd truly love to work with "Ruff" Nkosi, he is emtee's producer.

What's next for Thabzero?
I'm currently finalising my mix tape which will be released later this year or early next year. I called it "Game on" because my Ep was called "The First Token" which was my first attempt at the rap game and now it's game time. It's time for me to play in the field with the legendary players. There will be 12 sizzling tracks. I'm on production mosyly this time and I also have beats from Mbzet,Dj Digger, Musiholiq ,SikaBeats. In finalizing the project I'm working with Star-Yongs, Prince Devolution and SnipperAKA.
The sound I went for this time is "The best of both worlds", I have looked at what's currently in and fused that with who I am  so you may find trap beats but I never compromise my metarphors,punchlines and storytelling ability. There will be a song for everyone. The overall sound is much more matured and yet easy on the ear. There's also also of the old school boombap type but I've reinvested their sound to be more 2018 and beyond, like all my music this is also a continuation of my life events.

Besides the music ,Thabzero is also an aspiring actor so people may expect to see me on TV.

Get his recent single " Gotta do it

#YourTop3

Top3 rappers from Umlazi
Mthinay ,Robin 3rdfloor, Tsunami Musiholiq

Rappers from Inanda

Merely, Mapewula and Mphako
Producers from KwaMashu

Lastee , K master ,CSG
Female rappers from DBN

Ash , Clara T, lady killer

@Tan89Media

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas