Skip to main content

Pro-Chiq makes all the right moves

There's many sayings about taking a leap of faith into the uncertain, the unknown, the unsure. 

But when you do and your music video premiers on Channel O, and you are recognised and working with artists outside your country, featured on national radio and TV shows, making your mom proud and every move you make bears positive results and growth, then that's the ultimate confirmation that it was a worthy jump.

Rapper Pro-Chiq says she started taking herself seriously as an artist about five years ago, this after several years as an emerging artists trying to get her foot into the small rap space in her hood, Ga-Rankuwa in Pretoria. 

The proof to this includes taking time off her 9 to 5 and moving from Pretoria to Johannesburg and paying for things she needed to, for her career as opposed to wanting free services or hand outs.

Besides these moves, Pro-Chiq has also realised some things she can capitalise on to aid her growth. One being the internet (social media) and the other, Women's month. 

"My biggest lesson about the industry is that not even gatekeepers have a say about who's next. The internet and social media are powerful tools and platforms. I've been told it's much easier to blow up in SA as a female and I agree. I feel like the industry is thirsty for female rappers. So, Women's month Pro-Chiq is the busiest. Every year I take the spotlight handed over because of a particular month and try to keep the light going forward."

Speaking on Women in Hip Hop, she points out that the distinction between a male rapper addressed as just "rapper x" while she gets addressed as "female rapper" doesn't bother her because she believes it's something that comes from the outside (supporters/ fans, and the general public).  "My concern is engagement. That's what I do it for. I'm happy to engage with people through what I love (music), titles don't bother me. I identify as a rapper but I can't take away the fact that I am female." 

While she recently has been making notable moves, she still has tons of things to tick off the checklist. She continues on relying on her mental strength that helps her get up after every fall, she keeps doing the right things for the brand, keeps being strategic and works on her music always being relatable.

"The music remains relatable but I want to have more of a universal appeal. I love what Burnaboy and your Wizkid's are doing. I am not saying that I will be doing that type of sound exactly, but the plan is to stay true to my craft but also be able to appeal abroad. A perfect example of such an artist is Sho Majozi."

She admits that having a team is important to assist in building a successful brand, but warns to be weary of the circle you keep as sometimes you can have a team that's underwhelming and that can prove to be catastrophical for your brand and plans.

She has over the years worked with various emerging artists under her stable "Public Eye Entertainment" including KeDotso who's featured on her song "Change"

With all the milestones thus far, her modesty and hunger for more keeps her going hard at every chance and opportunity presented.

"I'm never fully satisfied with most of my achievements because in my head there's room for so much more. I'll say this much ,I'm proud to have relationships with some prominent people in the game. I'm proud to be have my craft broadcast on television and every other platform that helps my growth. And lastly I'm proud to have recognizable connections outside of South Africa."

She is forever thankful to her circle, her day ones & newly found supporters. She is also proud of everyone routing for her and promises nothing less than quality music, growth and more wins.

"My proudest moment would be, just getting that one phone call from my mom with excitement to congratulate me about a music related milestone. 

@pro-chiq took a leap of faith and got a perfect 10 for landing. We can only wonder when her next jump in faith is going to be. For now, She continues to make the necessary investments and continues to grow steadily.

#byMsTan


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. You really taking off in this industry ka storm... I'm really proud of you man. Much marato for you and your team. Big up❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u Scott...much love from me to u too��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas