Skip to main content

Themba Ledwaba: Something between Rhythm And Poetry

"When I begun writing I started with poetry and as time went on I started writing to beats. I am an outspoken person and at the same time I am open to learning all that I possibly can, that will better me in whatever way and by doing so I get to grow with my music also."

Themba started writing music in high school and a few years after he started recording.
"I was never fully into the music scene until 2018 when I released my first project which is an EP titled "Mental Institution" My reason for getting into the industry is so that I can make my contribution to the art scene as an artist."

He recently released his follow up EP titled "Mental Institution Rebirth"

Who do you identify as creative wise(a poet who does music,an artist, rapper?)

I believe that if you write then you are a poet because you are expressing yourself through writing so I am simply a poet,or an urban poet as the name goes nowadays.

What was the process like when writing the MIR EP and how did you decide on the body of work to put out?

The process was both challenging and fun because I was focusing more on writing and how I can infuse poetry into my music so I had to be really precise. I believe that the beats I choose usually set the mood and I'd write based on that,that's how I'd come up with a project.
How would you describe the EP and the overall music do?
The MIR EP is without a doubt a RAP project and as most of us know the word RAP is an acronym for Rhythm And Poetry so that goes without saying.
At this point I can't put a title on the overall music because there is so much experimenting that needs to be done.

Who did you work with and how did the collaborations on the EP come along.?
On the EP I worked with the deceased Neokeyz who's a beat maker and producer. I also worked with BoyPeza who's a rapper and a vocalist.
Getting to work with Neokeyz was not difficult because we'd hang out some times.
With BoyPeza, I was in the studio recording,he was also there also and he liked the song "Poetry" on the EP so much that he was just relentlessly singing to it so I asked him to put that on because I loved it too.

What is the toughest or challenging thing about being an emerging artist?
Personally I would say the hardest thing would be keeping it together and doing your best not to fall apart because there are so many challenges and inconveniences that you come across.

Why have you stopped using your stage name?
The reason I stopped using my AKA is because I wanted to embrace my real name,I saw no need not to use my name plus I was having difficulties introducing myself as 'slee' as most people would not get it right the first time. Also I want to be remembered as me.

You believe poetry is in a decline, becoming unpopular commercial wise?
That's a tad difficult to answer because poetry is still very much alive and kicking,but not commercially however but it is not on a decline.

What would you like to achieve with your music and see it go?
I want people to be inspired by my music. I want to teach through my music and generate money out of it.

On one of your songs,you touched on social issues. Do you think artists still csrry that responsibility of being social commentators through their art?
Definitely yes,though you will not hear many of them on radio or see them on TV much but yes,there are still artists like that.

Plans for the future? 
The future plan for MIR is performing it more and hosting a listening party for the project and as for Themba Ledwaba the plan is to grow in anyway possible as an artist and as a human being.


I am for peace,love and fun.
I am Themba Ledwaba

The EP is available for download on this link:
Themba Ledwaba- Mental Institution Rebirth

Download:
https://www.mamsmusic.co.za/themba-ledwaba-mental-institution-rebirth-ep/

@themba_ledwaba

Follow  us across all socials @Tan89Media










Comments

  1. I love the way you express yourself and well done on your EP.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Motswako Prince of Maftown, Sly YoHighness

It looks like Sly YoHighness might just got next as the Motswako Prince. It's now been a long while since we've had a proper Motswako wave breakthrough. Remember when the Morafe and Tuks wave hit, or when Gata lenna came out, Fifi Cooper and the late HHPs consistency and many comebacks? A lot of us have been wondering "who got next"? With the fall of guys like Notshi and KT struggling to properly cement his stance, is Sly the guy to look out for? I hit him up through the socials, to find out what he's been up to and if he really got his sight set on the throne. So how did he get into this whole music and creative space thing? He says he's always been artistic and one thing led to the other . "I love & have always loved acting. I'm very out there & funny too (yes, he is). So once I started writing I kinda never stopped, though I always felt it's a farfetched dream or whatever but I kept on writing, even if it was just for mysel

T.H-C still on a roll and making serious moves

T.H-C is a Hip Hop/Urban Musician and overall creative. He is an award nominee and has gunnered some international recognition, in some parts of Africa and in the US. Tshepi Aphane who goes by T.H-C is a rapper from Summer Greens in Cape Town, recently residing in Johannesburg after having been a Pretorian for a while. He has been on a serious come up since he became an active member of the music industry back in 2012. He has travelled and performed at various places and events, recently in Pretoria at the SOHK sessions and been on radio plaforms like Metro FMs" Rap Active Jam" and came out on top as the winner. He has to date released a total of 9 music videos .  He is currently working on a project and making the most of what's left of 2020. We had a chat with him to find out more about his international plugs, new project and future plans. From when you started out to currently, the Hip Hop scene has gone through several adjustments and changes. How have you tried and

Tan89Media Tips For Emerging Talent

 Attention Emerging Talent!! So, for the years that I have been dealing with and working alongside emerging talent, more so, artists. I have noticed some behavior pertaining to their brand. That could be credited to lack of experience and knowledge but it could also be ignorance and lack of proactivity. A lot of talent lacks a lot of knowledge of their industries. The very same field they want to occupy one day. Its super essential for anyone to know as much as possible when it comes to a dream they are pursuing or a skill they are great at or anything for that matter they say they are passionate about. The very basic things to know are many times overlooked and undermined and they play a huge role in how you develop as a brand, how you are perceived, and it shows just how serious or not one is about whatever it is they are pursuing. I have listed and broken down six (6) tips for emerging/ up and coming brands/ talents. Hopefully they will serve helpful to some. 1. The bas